|Event/course Code||SFVSS 19/145
|Event/course type||Training course|
|Event Introduction||Honour Based Abuse and Forced Marriage is an interactive full day’s multi agency training course.
This is targeted training, aimed at professionals (front line and managers) working across East Berkshire (Bracknell Forest, Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, and Slough) in either voluntary or statutory services who come into contact with those (adults and/or children) affected by Honour Based Abuse and Forced Marriage.
It will give an understanding of the complex issues associated with honour based abuse and forced marriage and equip delegates with knowledge and information to respond supportive to anyone in this situation.
• 1,200 cases of HBA in Thames Valley (Incidents and crimes recorded between April 2014 and March 2018).
• Nationally there are approximately 12 -15 reported honour killings per year in the United Kingdom.
• In 2017, the Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) gave advice or support related to a possible forced marriage in 1,196 cases via its public helpline and email inbox.
• 21% of forced marriage cases involve male victims (Cases dealt with by the Forced Marriage Unit in 2017).
Pre course requirements: delegates should have a sound understanding of domestic abuse issues, prior to understanding this course. Introduction to Domestic Abuse and/or other Safeguarding training are suitable options.
|Event Content||Through face to face delivery, the training course will include trainer lecturing, discussion between the trainers and delegates, group and individual work.
This training course looks at: the concept of honour, definitions of honour based abuse and forced marriage, understanding the behaviours associated with HBA, prevalence, indicators, consequences and impacts of the abuse. It will provide delegates with information on supporting victims including local and national services and referral processes.
The trainer Sophie Wing-King has worked in the domestic abuse field for 15 years, always in the Berkshire area. Currently Sophie is the strategic lead for domestic abuse working across both RBWM and Bracknell Forest. Main roles include: coordinating and delivering domestic abuse training; identifying and supporting funding bids for domestic abuse work/projects, including the commissioning of services; collating domestic abuse data; raising awareness of domestic abuse, including publicity; and supporting the implementation and delivery of our local domestic abuse strategy and action plans.
|Event Learning Outcomes||By the end of the session delegates will be able to:
• Identify and understand the differences between Forced and arranged Marriage.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the prevalence of Honour Based Abuse and Forced Marriage.
• Explain the impact of Honour Based Abuse and Forced Marriage.
• Demonstrate an increased understanding about risk assessment and management.
• Increase best working practice working with victims (and potential victims) of honour based abuse and forced marriage.
• Showcase knowledge of local and national appropriate support services.
• Explain impact on delegates own work situation.
|Course categories||Safeguarding and Child Protection|
|Event/course administrator||Linda Lin (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
Please login to view costs applicable to your Organisation.